If you are a fan of roof top tents and camping, you might be wondering what kind of ladder you need to access your tent and your roof rack.
A telescopic ladder is a great option offering you convenience, comfort and safety. But, what is it? A telescopic ladder is a type of ladder that can extend and retract to different lengths by sliding the sections in and out.
They are usually made of aluminium and have locking mechanisms to secure the sections in place. When it comes to telescopic ladders for camping, it is important they are lightweight, compact and easy to carry and store.
A telescopic ladder is useful for roof tents and camping for several reasons. Before you rush out and buy a telescopic ladder, this is what you should keep in mind.
Everything You Need to Know About Telescopic Ladders for Roof Top Tents and Camping
Don’t just rush out and buy the first ladder you see. Instead, take your time and select the ladder which meets your needs.
Points to consider when buying a telescope ladder:
Versatility: A telescopic ladder adjusts to different heights depending on your needs. You can use it to reach the top of your vehicle, your roof rack, or your roof tent. When at home, you can also use it for other purposes, such as cleaning, painting, or reaching hard to get to places around your home.
Comfort: A telescopic ladder should have broad and angled rungs making it more comfortable to climb into your tent barefoot. You don’t have to worry about hurting your feet or slipping on narrow or round rungs. Many telescopic ladders also have padded handles or stabiliser bars for extra grip and support.
Safety: Two other must-haves are anti-slip feet and rubber caps preventing the ladder from sliding or scratching your vehicle. You should also be able to use a support bracket or a strap to secure the ladder against your roof rack. It is worth paying extra for a ladder with a safety lock or a spring-loaded mechanism that prevents the sections from collapsing. This is particularly important when you are solo camping.
Portability: A telescopic ladder should fold down to a small size making it easy to transport and store. It should fit in your trunk, under your seat, or on your roof rack. Ideally, you should also be able to carry it by hand or with a shoulder strap. The best weight is between 10 – 20 kilos.
How To Choose Your Telescopic Ladder
Choose the right length: The length of your telescopic ladder depends on the height of your vehicle, your roof rack and tent. Make sure to measure while adding extra length for safety and comfort.
Generally, a 2.6 m (8.5 ft) telescopic ladder is suitable for most vehicles and tents, but there are shorter or longer ladders available depending on your needs.
Choose the right material: The material of your telescopic ladder affects its strength, weight and durability. Aluminium is the most common material for telescopic ladders. It is strong, light, and resistant to rust and corrosion. However, telescopic ladders can also be made of steel or composite materials that might offer more stability or durability.
Choose the right features: The features of your telescopic ladder affect its functionality and safety. Look for features such as broad and angled rungs, padded handles, stabiliser bars, anti-slip feet, rubber caps, safety locks, spring-loaded mechanisms, support brackets and straps. More features increase the functionality of your ladders. Don’t forget to check the load capacity of your telescopic ladder. It should be at least 150 kg (330 lbs) to support you and your gear.
Top Tips For Using Your Telescopic Ladder Safely
To use your telescopic ladder safely and effectively, you need to follow a few simple guidelines
● Check the condition of your telescopic ladder before each use. Make sure there are no cracks, dents, bends or loose parts.
● Extend your telescopic ladder to the desired length by pulling out each section until it locks in place. Make sure you hear a click sound when each section locks.
● Place your telescopic ladder on a flat and stable surface with enough clearance from other objects. Make sure the feet are firmly planted on the ground and the rubber caps are in contact with the vehicle.
● Secure your telescopic ladder against your roof rack or your vehicle with a support bracket or a strap if possible. This will prevent the ladder from sliding or falling over when in use.
● Climb up and down your telescopic ladder carefully and slowly. Use both hands to hold the rungs or the handles. Do not overreach or lean too far to one side. Never exceed the load capacity of the ladder.
● Retract your telescopic ladder after each use by unlocking each section and pushing it down gently. Do not let go of the sections until they are fully retracted. Be careful not to pinch your fingers between the sections.
● Clean and dry your telescopic ladder regularly. Remove any dirt, dust and moisture from the ladder. Store it in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
A telescopic ladder is a handy and practical tool that can enhance your roof tent and camping experience. By choosing and using a telescopic ladder properly, you can enjoy more convenience, comfort, and safety when accessing your tent and your roof rack.